Are You Using Your Influence For Good?
10 Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.
21 It is a sin to belittle one’s neighbor; blessed are those who help the poor.
1 John 3:18
18 Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.
2 Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!
This past week I was watching the news, and to my surprise, there was a feel-good story at the end of the broadcast. I was so blessed by it that my heart is still smiling several days later.
The man who was interviewed plays the piano in an Atlanta Airport. He loves to bring joy to those who are walking through from one destination to the other. As passengers go through the airport they listen to this wonderful music, that is played by a gentleman who loves making others smile, and is passionate about his craft.
A few days ago a perfect stranger went up to him and started a conversation because he was so impressed with how beautifully he played the piano. Wow, talking about a divine appointment! This perfect stranger had no idea that he was about to be used by God in a very significant way, and the Piano Man had no idea that he was about to be blessed beyond his wildest dreams.
During the conversation, the stranger finds out that the Piano Man has been battling a very serious kidney disease. The musician goes home each evening and does nine hours of dialysis. He then returns to the airport the next day to play the piano for four hours for tips.
It turned out that the stranger is an Instagram Influencer, with several hundred thousand followers. His heart was so touched by the Piano Man’s story, that he went on to his Social Media Site immediately while he was still in the airport, and asked them to give donations to the Piano Man. In just a few minutes $10,000. Had been given on the Piano Man’s behalf, and a few days later it had jumped to over $70,000. Wow! Can you imagine? Yes, I said it, over $70,000. In just a few days.
Needless to say, when the stranger went back to the Piano Player and told him the news, the Piano Player could not believe it. He was overcome with joy and gratitude, and probably a bit of disbelief too. His eyes immediately filled with tears and they embraced one another. All I could think was what a wonderful heartwarming story this was. So many will be blessed by this one man’s kindness and generosity. This story made me want to be a better person and I hope that it has done the same for you!
There were several great lessons that I took away from this story that I would like to share with you:
1. The power of one! You may be the only one, but be the one. Others will follow, and even if they don’t follow, be the one anyway. God doesn’t need a lot to do a lot. Read Gideon’s story.
2. Use your influence in a positive way. This stranger had a very large circle of influence, and he got them engaged in something that would make a positive difference in someone else life. We can all be difference makers, no matter how large or small our circle of influence is.
3. Use your Social Media platform to encourage, and to do good, not to be negative and tear others down.
4. Do good when it’s in your power to do good.
5. Don’t be too busy to invest a few minutes into the life of someone else.
6. The Piano Player was transparent. Don’t be ashamed to tell your story. You never know, God may bless you for sharing.
7. The Piano Player was extremely grateful and he expressed his gratitude to the stranger.
8. The Piano Player loved making others happy, by using the gift that God had blessed him with.
9. When you bless others you will be blessed.
10. Kindness is contagious.
11. The stranger saw a need, and he did not deliberate, he immediately went into action.
12. The Piano man never looked sad during this entire interview, he actually was a joyful person. No one could have ever looked at him and been able to tell that he was going through a tough time.